Sunday, September 15, 2013

Equal Equations

When we started learning addition equations, I started talking about the meaning of the equal sign.  At first, I just used the equal sign and tried to explain that both sides had to be the same worth.  I looked out and saw glazed eyeballs and blank stares.  Then, I had an epiphany.

I told them the equal sign was like a balance.  In order to use the equal sign, both sides had to "weigh" the same.  All of a sudden, I saw nodding heads, smiles, and light bulbs.  What an empowering moment as a teacher!  

I just finished a product to help build fluency with addition and subtraction facts through 20.  It also is designed to help your kiddos understand the meaning of the equal sign.  There is a recording sheet, so this would be a great math center or math review activity.

 


If you would like to take a look, click here

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I want to start by saying that your blog looks great! My name is Martin and I'm a teacher from Canada. I just started a new website called Resources4teaching where educators can buy and sell lessons and educational resources. We are new and are looking for people to join and put up their materials for sale on our website. We are having an iPad draw for the first 100 Vendors who join and upload at least 1 lesson /resource for sale on our website. There are absolutely no fees to join and you earn royalties of 70%. You can visit us at: http://www.resources4teaching.com
    I also created the Resources4teaching forums where educators can discuss education. Feel free to join us and start sharing your best practices and strategies.
    If you know any other teachers who might be interested in this Website, please forward this to them and if you have any questions, feel free to message me.

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete