Friday, December 27, 2013

DIBELS Prep Bellwork

I am linking up with Jennifer at Simply Kinder for her Teaching Blog Linky Party!  Woot, woot!  Go take a look and find some great new blogs (and probably some pretty sweet freebies).


Things have been absolutely crazy around here.  I bet it's been the same for you.  I know people think that teachers have all of this time off, but as I pointed out to one of my friends, teachers work even on their breaks.

With that being said, I am SO SUPER excited to show you what I have been working on.  I had a test run in my own classroom the last two weeks of school.  If it can work then, it can work anytime.  Am I right?  Holy smokes, were they ready for break!

Anyhoo, my RTI time is in the morning during bellwork.  I have twenty minutes to work with my students that need a little extra help.  My aide pulls students to work on sight words while I pull students for RTI.  The rest of the class works independently on bellwork.  Yes, my kiddos have been trained to complete bellwork on their own.  I go over the instructions and complete one day of bellwork with them.  If they can't remember what to do after that practice day, they must ask a friend before raising their hand to ask me.



I made a full 40 days of bellwork using the same format, so your students will be pros by the time they are finished with all of the pages.


The first page focuses on the skills that are tested on the middle of year and end of year DIBELS assessments.  The kids read nonsense words, letter names, and they complete phoneme segmentation.  I also added a sentence (or two or three) to start them on reading comprehension, which is tested in first grade.


The back of the page has three days of the format shown above.  It has rainbow words, fill in the missing letter, and practice sentence writing.  Now, if you teach kindergarten at a Spalding school, these words practice spelling lists 6-13.  Don't worry if you don't teach kindergarten at a Spalding school!  These words are taken from the Ayres list of high frequency words, so it will benefit your students as well. 

 On day four, your students will have a word scramble with the spelling words.
On day five, your students will have a word search with the words that have been practiced all week.

I am in LOVE with this bellwork!  My students are challenged, they let me work with my students that need extra help, and my DIBELS scores have improved.  Have I mentioned how much I love this bellwork?

If you would like to take a look, click here.  I am going to have it on sale for this weekend only.  The price will go back to normal on Monday, so hurry up and take a look!  



I am in an amazing mood, so I am going to throw a sale as well.  Everything in my store is 20% off.  Woot, woot!  But, you had better hurry because prices will go up on Monday.  Click here to take a look.

I hope you are having a fantastic, relaxing (ha, ha) break!  Have a great weekend!




1 comment:

  1. I love your DIBELS prep! The kids really need that! It's like they think the kids will just know how to read crazy words or read fast… no you must practice!!! =)

    Thanks for linking up!
    Simply Kinder

    ReplyDelete